CNN is in for a mega fight as the attorney for Covington Catholic High School student Nick Sandmann is suing for $250million.
In an interview set to air on Sunday at 10 p.m. with Mark Levin on Fox News, Sandmann’s attorney L. Lin Wood announced the lawsuit, Fox News reported.
“CNN was probably more vicious in its direct attacks on Nicholas than The Washington Post. And CNN goes into millions of individuals’ homes,” he said.
“They really went after Nicholas with the idea that he was part of a mob that was attacking the Black Hebrew Israelites, yelling racist slurs at the Black Hebrew Israelites. Totally false,” he said.
“Now you say you’ve seen the tape; if you took the time to look at the full context of what happened that day, Nicholas Sandmann did absolutely nothing wrong,” Wood said.
“He was, as I’ve said to others, he was the only adult in the room. But you have a situation where CNN couldn’t resist the idea that here’s a guy with a young boy, that Make America Great Again cap on. So they go after him,” he said.
“The CNN folks were online on Twitter at 7 a.m retweeting the little one-minute propaganda piece that had been put out,” Wood said.
“They’re out there right away going after this young boy. And they maintain it for at least two days,” he said.
Does CNN deserve to be sued?
“Why didn’t they stop and just take an hour and look through the Internet and find the truth and then report it? Maybe do that before you report the lies,” he said.
“I’ve got some young, smart lawyers that are working hard as we can,” he said and he toldLevin the suit would be filed this coming week.
“Double-checking, and listen, when we file complaints, we’ve investigated it because we want to get it right. Maybe CNN can learn from that,” he said.
“I expect because of the way they went after Nicholas so viciously, that the claim for his reputational damage will be higher than it was against The Washington Post,” he said.
“The Post was $50 million for the reputational damage … $200 million in punitive damages — punitive damages are designed to punish and to deter,” he said.
“I would think the punitive-damage award against CNN that we’ll seek will be at least the same $200 million as it was against The Washington Post,” Wood said.
“But the compensatory damage to Nicholas’s reputation, that number I expect will be higher,” he said.
Sandmann and the Covington students were initially accused of initiating the confrontation, but other videos and the students’ own statements showed that they were verbally accosted by a group of black street preachers who were shouting insults at them and the Native Americans. Sandmann and Phillips have both said they were trying to defuse the situation.
Last month, investigators hired by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Covington concluded that the students did not instigate the confrontation with Phillips. Bishop Roger Foys, who initially condemned the students’ behavior, wrote in a letter to parents that they had been “placed in a situation that was at once bizarre and even threatening.”
Facebook has greatly reduced the distribution of our stories in our readers’ newsfeeds and is instead promoting mainstream media sources. When you share to your friends, however, you greatly help distribute our content. Please take a moment and consider sharing this article with your friends and family. Thank you.